[mythtv-users] OT - Mac Advocacy, was; Which SVN?

Matthew McClement mythtv at macker.co.uk
Tue Mar 11 18:14:45 UTC 2008

Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> On Mar 11, 2008, at 10:29 AM, Matthew McClement wrote:
>> Toshiba R500 matches it on all counts(it even passes the "envelope"
>> test) and was out before the Air by about 6 months.
>>
>> However, the Air does look far prettier which may or may not be an
>> issue for some.
>
> The Toshiba R500 costs about the same at the MacBook Air.

I was mainly addressing the "first to execute" from earlier in the
thread. Apple weren't the first to put SSD'a into laptops nor were they
the first to shove SSD + everything else into a small package.

Comparing the price of the two is potentially a little difficult. In
funny UK money the R500  is cheaper base unit price compared to base
unit price, however the R500 is a slower CPU(1.2-1.3Ghz) with faster and
less anemic subsystems(higher capacity drives if you want to go non-SSD,
more USB ports, built in optical drive, etc) while the Air has a faster
CPU(1.6-1.8Ghz) but lacks most extra functionality that you get with the
R500.

Matt