[mythtv-users] AppleTV with Linux

Scott D. Davilla davilla at 4pi.com
Tue Mar 11 16:39:32 UTC 2008

An update on atv-bootloader (http://code.google.com/p/atv-bootloader/);

I've svn committed the source and binaries. It's still a work in
progress but the main components to enabled booting the AppleTV to a
initramfs command-line environment are present. kexec is present and
one can manually kexec boot a secondary linux kernel/distro. vesafb
(as well as patched imac_fb and efifb) console framebuffer is working
so one does not require a patched kernel to boot anymore.

The initramfs is glibc based not uclibc so it's easy to add
additional support apps. It's built from a MythBuntu 7.10 distro. A
patched parted and hfs-tools are also present so you can use this to
create proper AppleTV recovery gpt partitions.

To solve the chick-or-egg issue in initially creating the recovery
partition for the bootloader, the patched parted and install script
are posted as a separate download. dd does not work reliably with USB
pen drives (sector format difference issues) and gpt also can have
issues so a disk image for dd usage will not be created, you will
have to create the gpt format/partitions from parted. But that's
pretty easy. Then "cp -arp" the required files over.

Also last night I completed a boot config parser. It can parse grub,
kboot, syslinux, isolinux and mb_boot_tv config files, extract and
reformat the default boot params into a kexec load string  -- just
need to add device/partition scanning and soon -- auto boot. This and
the initramfs make script will be svn committed in a few days.

I have several distro targets in mind, MythBuntu, MiniMyth, and XBMC
for Linux (boo, boo, hiss, hiss). Once I get these targets working
(and solve and issues that appear), any distro should be bootable on
the AppleTV.

There's a MythBuntu sticky at
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=720676 where progress is
posted and I always hunt the Linux forum at awkwardtv
(http://forum.awkwardtv.org/viewforum.php?f=23)

More later as this progresses,
Scott