[mythtv-users] MythFrontend 0.21: What is a watch list?

Paul Bender pebender at san.rr.com
Tue Mar 11 14:53:27 UTC 2008

Jay Mallar wrote:
> Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 01:38:33AM -0400, David Kramer wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks.  Pointers where to R the FM are welcome.
>>>
>> The FMs will take a while to catch up, I suspect.  :-)
>>
>> If you want to *write* the FM, you can go hit the wiki.
>>
> I get the point of open source.  I get that this is a community
> project.  But gosh darnet, if you have the time to add the feature to
> the code, you have the time to write up a quick document for the rest of
> us so we know how to use it.  One of the biggest problems I have with
> most open source projects is this lack of documentation or the
> assumption that documentation should be done by someone other than
> whoever made the change.  How am I supposed to know what someone else
> added, much less how it works?
>
> Sorry - rant over...

In my case, it has very little to do with time. Rather it has to do with
desire. I work on Open Source projects for my benefit not other people's
benefit. Adding functionality that I want benefits me. As a result, I am
motivated to do the work. Adding documentation of functionality that I
added does not benefit me. As a result, I am not motivated to do the work.

Generally, people are selfish. They do things for their own benefit. In
general, if people do not get money, enjoyment, an ego boost or self
preservation out of it, then they do not do it. This includes working on
Open Source. If you want to convince someone to do documentation, then
you need to figure out how to make it feed their own selfish
motivation(s). Telling them that they have the time will get you nowhere.