[mythtv-users] Myth Jabber bot

Ian Barton lists at manor-farm.org
Tue Mar 11 10:53:04 UTC 2008

Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 07, 2008 at 07:02:22PM -0500, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> Basically, if information /can/ be retrieved from the backend rather
>> than by accessing raw data in the database, it /should/ be retrieved
>> from the backend.  The Perl bindings (and, I'm assuming, the Python
>> bindings) make it possible to send commands to the backend just like any
>> mythfrontend or mythbackend would--i.e. to retrieve a list of
>> recordings, to retrieve a list of upcoming recordings, etc.
>>
>> Anyway, again, this is just my opinion (which has developed as I watched
>> scripts like myth.rebuilddatabase.pl and others bitrot during the
>> development of 0.21).
>
> IANAD,E, but I concur with Mike on this: if there's an API, use it for
> whatever you can; we (the royal we; I am a developer, just not for
> Myth) build those things for a reason...
>
> I see the OP is looking into it; good on him.

I have looked into it and the python bindings will do some of what I
want. I'll post this to the dev list, but maybe someone here can give me
some guidance. Bear in mind that I am only at about page 2 of the "Noddy
  Guide to Python".

I think that if I inherit from the existing python bindings and add new
methods, I should be able to do what I want.

Ian.