[mythtv-users] 1080i HD and macmini: Choppy playback

Monkey Pet monkeypet at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 22:13:25 UTC 2008

I bought myself a brand new macmini (1.83GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB of
memory) to use as a myth frontend.  I noticed that 1080i HD content
recorded from hdhomerun box doesn't play well on my 1080p LCD TV.  The
HD is watchable, but there are choppiness, ghosting and frame drops.

The osx mythfrontend binary was obtained from the sniderpad.com
(http://www.thesniderpad.com//component/option,com_remository/Itemid,36/).

I noticed that when I shutoff autoscaling in the mythfrontend, the HD
playback is flawless and perfect.  However, this makes the SD image to
be very small.  None of the other OSX frontend settings did anything
to improve the playback.  I am wondering if anyone has a fix for this
or another set of binaries that I can try.

On another note, the HD playback using VLC over NFS is also perfect
and flawless, so I think this has to do with the way the mythfrontend
is playing the HD content.