[mythtv-users] Dell Small Factor Computers

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Mon Mar 10 14:40:09 UTC 2008

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 01:23:46PM +1100, Bill Williamson wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 6:15 AM, Benjamin Peikes <ben at peikes.com> wrote:
> > Mark, what size is the case you're using? Can you give a specific case?
> >  Would the setup you're listing allow recording? Does it include a DVD
> >  player?
> >
> >  It would be great if there was a hardware setup "database" where people
> >  could post the specs for their systems including costs, capabilities, etc.
> >
> >  It's hard to believe that if Apple can sell Apple TV units for $250, that
> >  someone can't sell MythTV hardware for $500. The only systems I've seen are

A great many companies sell that sort of hardware for $500.

If you want something equivalent to Apple TV in terms of a
PC, just about any vendor that sells bookpcs or cube PC's
will have a suitable model.

The catch will be HD and h264.

Although acheiving that with hardware at or around the $500
pricepoint isn't going to be that hard.

> >  over $1000, which is a bit insane.

Even the MythTV speciality vendors sell cheaper machines
than this. HTPC vendors tend to be expensive but you don't
have to buy from those.