[mythtv-users] Should I just give up on lirc_serial?

David Whyte david.whyte at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 11:35:18 UTC 2008

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 9:24 PM, Phill Edwards <philledwards at gmail.com> wrote:
>  Ultimately, am I ever going to get this working, or should I just give
>  up and buy a remote which has a USB receiver? If I did is that going
>  to be more reliable? If I should move to USB, can anyone suggest one
>  that's available in Australia?

Hey Phill,

You know how much of a noob I am, but I bought a Microsoft MCE remote
(version 2 I think), which comes with a USB dongle and blasters to
control other equipment, and I have it all setup really easy.  I
initially set it up on Ubuntu Feisty and more recently I have put it
to use on my mythbuntu FE.

Just spend the $50 and grab one of those from your local PC store.
(FTR, I bought mine from Global Computers on Adelaide St in Brisbane).

Cheers,
Whytey