[mythtv-users] X-box front-end questions

Erik Mellquist erik.mellquist at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 01:06:00 UTC 2008

> I have some questions for those of you using (or who have used) an X-box
> as
> a front-end.
>
> 1.) Do I need to buy anything other than the X-box itself?
> mod-chip?
Nope, I used the NDURE softmod with the 007 game.  Other than hacking
together a USB to Xbox converter (30 minutes) it only took about 5 minutes.

> 2.) Do I have to get a specific remote control or can I use any remote
> with lirc?
I don't know if other remote controls will work using LIRC.  The only
options would be some sort of USB remote.  I am using the xbox DVD remote
which works without any setup.  Make sure to get the actual Microsoft brand
to save yourself a lot of trouble.

> 3.) Can it just run the front-end or can it also run MythVideo and/or
> MythDVD?
It only runs the front-end, but that includes MythMusic, MythVideo, etc.
You won't be ripping any DVD's from the Xbox.

> 4.) Does it have 802.11g or does it have to be wired?
I am using it over wireless with one of these.
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E16833314030
It works fine about 95% of the time.  Drops out every once in a while.

> 5.) Anything else I should be aware of before scouring e-bay?
When I set mind up, there were RPM's available using apt-get.  I don't
believe those are still available.  Someone earlier mentioned that you will
have to compile from scratch, which is probably true.  Because of this, and
a few other things (slow menus, general problems with OS stability), I
abandoned my XBOX frontend about a month ago in favor of a normal HTPC
frontend that cost about $250 to build.  The new box cost a little bit more,
but took a lot less time to setup and is much easier to maintain.  It also
has the ability (hopefully) to play HD.