[mythtv-users] Small Form Factor

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Mar 9 23:28:59 UTC 2008

On Mar 9, 2008, at 5:21 PM, Benjamin Peikes wrote:

> Griz, do the Dell SX line fall into the bulging capacitor era?
>
> As for not being able to get a cheap small form factor computer, I
> don't
> believe that it's because Apple is making money off selling DVDs or
> movies.
> Explain the Mac Mini then? I can get a used one for less than $500.

Good point. It's interesting that Apple's site has refurbished units
of just about everything except Minis.

> Perhaps someone could make a "deal" with the folks that make the
> Shuttle,
> using their overstock when they switch models. I mean please, how is
> it
> possible that I can't buy a Shuttle that was made 3 years ago for
> less than
> $500 with all of the hardware....

There are some shuttle clones, more or less. I have a "U-Buddy" but
the 700Mhz. VIA Samuel would never handle HD, and would be taxed with
SD.

This outfit has a great selection of teeny machines, too bad that
description doesn't apply to the prices:

http://www.logicsupply.com/

> Oh well, I had hoped that after 3 years, the MythTV situation would
> have
> gotten better. I mean what's the benefit between MythTV and getting a
> Windoze machine with Media Edition? It's cheaper to get the Windoze
> machine.

If I have to tell you the benefits of a Myth box over MCE you are on
the wrong list. Let's start with what if you want 4 or 5 tuners?

beww