[mythtv-users] OT B'cast nostalgia, was: Hauppauge in ...

Robert Johnston anaerin at gmail.com
Sun Mar 9 22:57:33 UTC 2008

On Sun, Mar 9, 2008 at 3:17 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:

>  Even further OT, but a good Woodstock story:
>
>  A friend of mine had just returned from Viet Nam and got a job with
>  Altec (pre "Altec Lansing"). He was sent to Woodstock and his job was
>  basically to babysit the PA system's audio power amps (pairs of
>  4-400As I believe, those are big vacuum tubes for you youngsters).
>
>  Everything was fine for a while, then he noticed a blue glow
>  characteristic of tubes operating class AB2 and being driven a little
>  too hard.

Ah, audio engineering.

I worked as Monitor engineer for The Drifters as they toured the UK a
while ago. We had quite large power requirements (Obviously), and had
our own 135A breaker board we used to power our gear. Occasionally,
the venue couldn't supply that kind of hookup, and we had 62A (And
32A) downchangers we could use. The most hairy venue, however, could
only give us a standard 13A wall socket (You know, the thing you'd
plug a vacuum cleaner or toaster into). We built a downchanger for
that (With a nail used in place of the fuse), and carefully turned the
amps on one at a time, and watched the levels VERY carefully to make
sure we didn't spike and take out the whole rig. A limiter on the kick
drum was a must on that gig!
--
Robert "Anaerin" Johnston