[mythtv-users] Mac OS X video profile settings in 0.21?

Todd Ignasiak todd.ignasiak at gmail.com
Sun Mar 9 20:37:45 UTC 2008

I just upgraded my Mac OS X MythTV setup to 0.21, and ran into
problems with video playback performance.

1080i playback went from using 80-90% of one CPU (Mac Mini 1.66GHz
Core Duo) in 0.20.2 to 135-155% CPU with 0.21 and choppy playback.
I have tried a bunch of settings for the video profile, but nothing
has brought the CPU down from the 150% range.     Even 720p playback,
which used to be around 65-70% cpu load, is at 130%+.

I see that the dvdv acceleration is listed as a new feature in 0.21.
Does this mean that it is now stable enough for common usage?  My
attempts at using it in the past didn't go well.   Are there any
limits on its support (is Leopard okay?), or is it documented
anywhere?      I am not positive, but I don't think the frontend
configuration generated by osx-packager.pl listed Mac acceleration as
being enabled.

The settings options appear to be:

Decoder: Standard, libmpeg2,
Video Renderer: opengl, quartz-blit
OSD Renderer: softblend

Decoder: Mac hardware acceleration
Video Renderer: quartz-accel
OSD Renderer: opengl3

I thought the closest approximation of 0.20 settings was  Standard
MPEG2, Quartz-blit, softblend.  But, that was still up around 150%
CPU.

Anyone having better results for Mac OS playback?