[mythtv-users] Hauppauge in trouble with the FCC

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Sun Mar 9 16:38:24 UTC 2008

On Sun, Mar 09, 2008 at 10:23:48AM -0600, Brian Wood wrote:
> > And, as I'm sure you know better than most, Brian, NTSC is actually a
> > *really* impressive system, when each component is properly tuned.
>
> As I'm sure you know, an NTSC picture coming directly off a good
> camera into a high-quality NTSC monitor would knock the socks off most
> home viewers. Problem is a good NTSC monitor costs about $7000 or
> more, and a "good" camera with a decent lens is well into 6 figures.

BVM-1911Q, yes.

Is Sony even discoing *those* in the wake of the Trinitron funeral?

I almost refuse to believe that Chiefs are going to tolerate LCDs as
engineering monitors... even in this day and age.

And as for the cameras.... you can get a lot done for $50K these days.  ;-)

> Typical consumer setups totally mutilate things, but then again most
> consumers were satisfied with VHS quality.

Standard anecdote: the Sony Jumbotron at the old sombrero, Tampa
Stadium -- which was *much* crisper looking than your home TV -- was...
240x192.

Second anecdote: in 1988, when I was in TV production classes, we had a
triple-nickle portable camera and a 7400 standard VHS portable.

Played back first gen into a broadcast monitor, with a TBC, it stood up
to anything the local affils were airing.  Handily.

You didn't want to bump it, though...

> What consumer has ever even heard of an outfit like Ikegami? Years ago
> they tried selling computer monitors and failed miserably, mostly
> because of a total lack of name recognition with consumers. First time
> I saw an Ike computer monitor my reaction was "wow, cool".

Yeah.  Conrac and... someone else, did that too.  Same reaction, same
results.

> (He said looking at the RCA 2" Image Orthicon tube on his bookshelf,
> now THAT was a camera tube (came out of a TK-14) :-))

You *have* see Quadruplex Park, right?

I used to have a Jumbotron module, given to me by a cow-orker who got
flown to ... Topeka, I think, for Jumbotron school.  They had the
*coolest* swag.

Cheers,
-- jra

	     Those who cast the vote decide nothing.