[mythtv-users] Best resolution for HD on a cr at ppy CRT TV

David Whyte david.whyte at gmail.com
Sun Mar 9 10:51:04 UTC 2008

Hi,

Since I now have a FE that is capable of playing HD, I now longer need
to wait for my HD recordings to be transcoded down to a lower format
before I play them back.  The problem is, I don't have a HD capable TV
with this FE, it is a mere 21" CRT TV and so I don't know which
resolution to set the FE to play at.  It currently runs at a high
resolution (1280x1024) and all the fonts in the menus and OSD are
tiny.

The new FE has an Intel 915 video card and runs mythbuntu so it is
capable of many different resolutions.  The old Xbox FE that it is
replacing was simply set to 640x480 (I think).  Being in Australia, we
use a variant of PAL on our TVs.

So, what is the best resolution for playback so that I can watch both
SD and HD TV nicely.

Thanks in advance,
Whytey