[mythtv-users] Upgrading from FC6 to F8/0.21

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Sun Mar 9 07:46:54 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Sat, Mar 08, 2008 at 07:24:35PM -0500, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
> > I thought I had read that FC6 to 8 was *not* recommended.
>
> Its not recommended, and its not supported by RedHat.

actually the reason that Fedora has a 13 month life cycle [1] is to
allow users to skip an intermediate release, e.g. go from F<n> to
F<n+2>. This is not to say that it will always work nicely, but it
does mean that Fedora acknoledges that people don't want to fully
upgrade their systems twice a year and tries to accomodate.

Upgrading from FC6 to F8 is probably the same pain as going through F7
en passant. I would just let the DVD do its thing and the then use
smart with smart fix to heal anytghing ths upgrade may have broken. If
you do a yum update with yum-plugin-kmdl installed you will even get
the needed kmdls.

[1] More precisely it is "EOL is one month after the next to next
    release is out", and if the releases come out regularily at every 6
    months (which is the target) it plays out at 13 months.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net