[mythtv-users] MythTV 0.21

Bill Williamson bill at bbqninja.com
Sun Mar 9 04:28:54 UTC 2008

On Sun, Mar 9, 2008 at 3:19 PM, Mario Limonciello
<mario.mailing at gmail.com> wrote:
> Bill Williamson wrote:
> > On Sun, Mar 9, 2008 at 2:46 PM, Mario Limonciello
> > <mario.mailing at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > What about mythbuntu "weekly fixes'" ?
> >
> > Since mythbuntu has gone official I've been a bit confused.  I have
> > gutsy, and mythbuntu installed on top, and the weekly fixes URL in my
> > sources.list, but I never get myth updates.
> As expected this is going to be a source of confusion.
>
> There has to be a balance chosen.  Yes 0.21-fixes is a fixes branch, but 0.20.2
> shipped with 7.10.  It's either force everyone using that branch to switch to
> 0.21, or let them stay on a "stable" 0.20.2.
>
> There have been no updates to the "fixes" branch because nothing has been
> committed to 0.20.2.  It seemed silly to keep pushing updates when the focus was
> only on 0.21 for the last few weeks.
>
> So here is the entire plan for 0.21+:
>
> 1) Get it in hardy (done)
> 2) Get it on the mythbuntu-trunk branch so that people on 0.20.2 who were using
> the -fixes branch don't need to switch
> 3) Get an official backport into gutsy backports
> 4) Once this backport is active, the mythbuntu-trunk branch will start to track
> trunk again
> 5) No more -fixes for the rest of gutsy.
> 6) -fixes will resume for hardy with release-0-21-fixes.
>
> That sound sane?

It seems sane, and I can see how/why you're doing it that way.  I'm
not very keen on the backports (perhaps just from being burned by
debian, maybe not rational?) repository... is there an easy way for
someone like me running a stock ubuntu "current" + mythbuntu to get
.21?

The way I see it my options are
-wait until 8.04
-download the files from the backports repo and install them manually
-play with pinning and prios so that backports will be in my system,
but NOTHING non-myth will be installed from it

Is #3 my winner?  If so, does anyone know enough about apt pinning to
help me make a config that will work?