[mythtv-users] Upgrading from FC6 to F8/0.21

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Sun Mar 9 00:14:33 UTC 2008

On Mar 8, 2008, at 4:03 PM, Christopher X. Candreva wrote:

> On Sat, 8 Mar 2008, Brad DerManouelian wrote:
>
>> There's no easy direct path from FC6 to 8. You have to go through 7
>> first. If you want to avoid upgrading so often. you should consider
>> CentOS.
>
> I beg to differ.  I upgraded from FC6 to FC8 by inserting the FC8 dvd,
> booting, telling it to upgrade, and coming back after dinner.

Oh, I'm glad I'm wrong, then. I tried that and ran into a world of
trouble. Actually, I think that part went relatively smooth, it's when
I rebooted and noticed things didn't go so well for me. Then I did a
yum upgrade and all hell broke loose with missing dependencies and
whatnot. I ended up backing up configs, reformatting my system and
installing FC8 from scratch and it was a much better experience. I
thought I had read that FC6 to 8 was *not* recommended.