[mythtv-users] ALSA No Longer Sees Sound Card

Ben Curtis mythtv at nosolutions.com
Sat Mar 8 20:39:13 UTC 2008

Hey guys,

Just rebuilt a new box for my backend, and I can't seem to get sound
playback working on it.  Everything worked great until I installed the
capture cards.  After installing the capture cards, it appears to be
trying to use them as the default sound device, instead of the mobo's
sound card.  So.. some info:

"aplay -l" returns nothing.
"alsamixer" shows:
  Card: PulseAudio
  Chip: PulseAudio
"alsamixer -c 0" shows:
  Card: Conexant CX8801
  Chip: CX88│
"alsamixer -c #" where # is 1-9 don't work at all.

In KDE when using the sound card detection, it finds my "Intel 82801l
(ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller", and appears to be trying to use ALSA
to run it.  However, aRts crashes at boot, or any time I try to restart
the sound system.

I'm stumped as to why "aplay -l" doesn't see the motherboards' sound card.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Ben