[mythtv-users] SA4200HD via 1394, mixed SD and HD

Mark Staudinger mark at mark.staudinger.net
Sat Mar 8 20:18:14 UTC 2008

fuzziel300 wrote:

> What's also interesting to note that sometimes I don't reset anything, other
> than maybe a reboot or just turning off SA4250, all of a sudden firewire
> starts working ok after not working for several weeks.

This is how it used to fail for me - the channel change would work, but
mythbackend never received a stream - I would see "Warning: No Input in
XXmsec..." a few times, and then it would give up.  Now, instead of giving
up on the recording, it will reset the firewire bus and begin streaming
again.  I still sometimes see the "No Input" messages, but then I get the
normal "Buffered packets 2000 (8000 KB)" which indicates the stream in
progress.

I'm not sure if this will work for you, but before BusReset did its magic,
this was my method, which had about a 75% rate of success.

1) halt the backend

2) remove 1394 cable from back of STB

3) power-cycle the STB (just power off/on on front panel)

4) when STB is booted, plug in 1394 cable

4) reboot backend

Also note that my STB had two 1394 ports, and one of them (the inboard
port) was more reliable, in that it had a slightly higher chance of
responding to the reboot.

You say you are not running SVN.  That's fine... but are you installing
from packages, or from source?  If you're installing from source then you
can at least check linuxfirewiredevice.cpp to see how it handles the
BusReset function.

FWIW the version I was running previously (which was the first SVN I
installed that didn't need the BusReset tweaking) was from October 2007.

Cheers
-=Mark