[mythtv-users] SA4200HD via 1394, mixed SD and HD

Ed Brandon bigeb at ebnet.us
Sat Mar 8 19:28:28 UTC 2008

I have two 4250HD STB's from Cablevision here in NY and I have had pretty
good success recording HD and SD over firewire. I tried channel changing
channels over firewire when first setup however the results were chaotic so
I still use a IR blaster. Myth lets me watch any HD content on my SD TV
without any problem, it just letterboxes it which is fine for me.

The main problem I have is certain channels (mainly Discovery HD Theatre,
YESHD and all of the SD STARZ and Encore Channels simply can't be viewed
through MythTV over firewire. Oddly enough YES in SD, the discovery channel
and STARZHD can be viewed. Cablevision says they do not put any 5C
encryption on the firewire ports and my other 200 channels seem to work fine
although I never watch most of them. I also have looked at the diag menu on
the cable box and it looks clean. I have heard cable networks themselves
will put encryption on by themselves but why would STARZ let me watch there
HD channel freely and not their SD lineups? I've called Cablevision about it
and they were actually surprised I have gotten firewire capturing working
since they have been unable to do it using Windows MC and they are trying to
figure out how to get it to work.

Most of my firewire resets are now tied to switching to these channels which
makes me unplug the firewire cable from my Myth box and power cycle the STB
and them plug the firewire cable back into the Mythbox. I haven't had any
luck with firewire bus resets being able to bring things back to life by
itself.

  _____