[mythtv-users] Hauppauge in trouble with the FCC

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Mar 7 22:24:03 UTC 2008

On Mar 7, 2008, at 3:14 PM, Craig G. wrote:

> Its not just a labeling issue, the FCC also has some nice language
> in there to potentially fine anyone who manufactures for sale in the
> U.S. a "TV Receiver" which doesn't include a digital tuner.
>
> "By Law, as of March 1, 2007, all television receivers shipped in
> interstate commerce or imported into the United States must contain
> a digital tuner."
>
> Which is fairly short cited, as they don't seem to really define
> what a "television receiver" is.   I assume it was aimed at set top
> boxes and televisions, but the fact that it keeps someone from
> manufacturing a product for a specific market (such as analog cable
> tv use) without putting a ATSC tuner in it.

While stupid there is precedent. You can't sell a TV set that won't
tune UHF since a long time ago. Then they passed the rule that said a
UHF channel had to be as easy to tune as a VHF one (thus eliminating
the continuously-variable UHF tuners, it had to go "click click").

You also can't sell a set over 13" in size that doesn't have a CC
decoder.

Then there's the whole v-chip or whatever they call the parental
control thing these days.

beww