[mythtv-users] Myth Jabber bot

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Mar 7 19:04:14 UTC 2008

On 03/07/2008 01:47 PM, Ian Barton wrote:
> Over the last couple of days I have put together a very simple jabber
> bot. It's designed to do a few simple things to let me check on my Myth
> box via my mobile phone:
>
> * List of last 10 recorded programs.
> * List of next 10 upcoming recordings.
> * Per channel listings for the current day
> * Various bits of information from the Myth backend xml page.
>
> You can run it on your backend. However, if you can access your myth
> database remotely it should run on any system that can run Python. I
> have tested it with Googletalk and Openfire.
>
> In use you simply send send the bot an IM and it replies with whatever
> status info you requested.
>
> Would anyone be interested if I made this generally available? If so how
> do I go about submitting it to the contrib part of MythTV?
>
> This is my first ever Python program, so try to be kind:) One of the
> reasons for writing it was to learn Python. If anyone wants to help
> refactor it I can make it available via bzr or svn.

Is it, by any chance, using the Python bindings?  IMH(non-developer)O,
we should refrain from accepting Perl/Python scripts for contrib if they
do not use the Perl/Python bindings.

I don't know the current state of the Python bindings to know whether
they are sufficiently usable to require their use for Python scripts or
whether they require some additional work before that's feasible.  As
for the Perl bindings, though, they are definitely sufficiently usable
in 0.21-fixes/trunk to require their use in scripts.

Mike