[mythtv-users] which harddisk for storing media ?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Mar 7 15:54:50 UTC 2008

On Mar 7, 2008, at 8:17 AM, Bert Van Kets wrote:

> Brian Wood wrote:
>> Apparently nobody explained that most
>> PSUs are very inefficient at fractional loads.
>>
>> beww
>>
> But they are even more inefficient at maximum load. The power
> consumption goes up due to the generated heat and on top of that the
> vents run faster which provides a lot of noise and even more power
> consumption.
> I generally go with 200W more than the needed power. So a 500W PSU is
> replaced with a 700W one. I try to run at about 75%.

Another problem is that the PSUs are rated for total power. It is
quite possible to exceed the maximum rating on the +12V or the +5V
rail, for example, before the total wattage limit is reached.

To be sure, you should know the rating of each individual voltage
output, and what you are drawing form that output.

Since it's unlikely you will know these parameters accurately, giving
yourself some "headroom" is about the only practical way to go.

But putting a kilowatt unit in a unit that's drawing 300 watts is
stupid, both from an economic and a technical perspective. I guess it
makes sense from an egotistical standpoint though.

beww