[mythtv-users] USB DVB-S for UK use

David Matthews dm at prolingua.co.uk
Thu Mar 6 22:49:28 UTC 2008

Dave Marples wrote:
> I'm trying to upgrade my current mythtv DVB-T setup with a DVB-S
> receiver, especially for HD.
>
> I need to use a USB based receiver for this, and wondered if anyone has
> any experience and/or could make any recommendations for Freesat reception?
>
> ....the price is right, but I can find no info on Linux support, and the
> supplier doesn't even appear to be able to tell me the USB ID, so it's
> difficult to look it up....if anyone has any experience with using this
> type of device, or can give me pointers to other USB DVB-S receivers,
> I'd be very grateful.

I bought a Siemssen Opera DVB-S USB from a supplier in Germany but only
after checking on the linuxtv lists that it was supported.  The remote
looks the same as the one in the picture but the case is different.  The
present BBC HD transmissions are DVB-S but there's been talk that they
may move to DVB-S2 at some time in the future, so if it's HD you're
after you may be better holding off.

David.