[mythtv-users] Opinion on a P4 Backend // HDD Throughput

Chris Ribe chrisribe at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 06:43:29 UTC 2008

> Currently I have:
> - ASUS P4P800 MOBO (enough PCI slots);
> - Intel P4 2.8Ghz w/HT;

If your backend is in an air conditioned room, consider replacing your
processor.  A 2.8 GHz Prescott P4 will consume close to 40W more than a
similarly powerful and pin compatible $70 1.6 GHz Allendale
Pentium<http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116037>,
which will translate to roughly $35/year in energy savings assuming a
rate
of $.08/KwH and AC running 25% of the time.

(damn, I wish I hadn't just worked out those numbers.  I'm sitting next to a
3.0GHz Prescott that runs 24/7 and I had been planning on spending that
money on other things.)

TV/IT Engineer
WCJB-TV Gainesville, FL
(352) 416 0648