[mythtv-users] Opinion on a P4 Backend // HDD Throughput

Greg Mitchell greg at nodecam.com
Thu Mar 6 05:02:24 UTC 2008

Josh White wrote:

> I agree completely with the separation of the recordings and the
> database to separate physical drives.  I got lucky when I set my system
> up, and did that by accident.  I guess I just assume that's how everyone
> does it (bad assumption).

I started out with a single 200G drive for my entire system - I set up
two LVMs, one for my system and one for recordings.  The recordings LVM
got added to with another 200G and a 300G drive over time, but
essentially they were still sharing the same drive because of my
stupidity in how I initially set it up.

And for SD, it was fine - just when I got into HD stuff that I started
really having IO problems which caused ivtv to go haywire.

Greg