[mythtv-users] Hauppauge HD-PVR

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 23:16:55 UTC 2008

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 12:52 PM, David George <david at thegeorges.us> wrote:

>  We have prototypes built for an HD component capture device.  It uses
>  MJPEG2000 instead of MPEG4 or H.264 AVC.  The differences with our
>  product is that it will be ethernet attached and initially support Linux
>  only.  So far comparisons of MJPEG2000 and MPEG4 are very favorable with
>  file size vs. quality.  We are still a little ways away on the software
>  side.  Linux driver will be started soon.  Also, we are planning on
>  using a Matroska container for the video and audio.  All code will be
>  open source (GPL).

Hi David,

How are you going to handle channel changes?  Since your box is
"ethernet attached" it could be in a completely different room from
the Mythbackend computer.

I see the Hauppauge HD-PVR has an integrated IR-blaster.  Personally,
I am not interested in the IR-blaster because the USB port on my
Directv H20 works much better.  Since the Hauppauge HD-PVR is USB
based, it needs to be close to the Mythbackend computer anyway, so
using another USB port to control the H20 make more sense to me.

Thanks,

John
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.