[mythtv-users] Opinion on a P4 Backend // HDD Throughput

greg at nodecam.com greg at nodecam.com
Wed Mar 5 22:36:09 UTC 2008

>>On my system (one firewire tuner, one PVR 250) I could cause problems by
>>recording HD, playing back the same HD stream on a delay and recording SD
>>at the same time.  As soon as I put in a new disk and separated
>> recordings
>>from database/logging, the problems went away.
>
> That doesn't really make sense. Logging and database access is a minimum
> in
> the situation you desribed (EIT scanning is about it I think), just moving
> the logs and database should have made little difference really.
> Ok, if you are running more than just myth, a lot of logging and seperate
> database accesses in the background then this would make a difference.
> Gareth

When recording, Myth inserts stuff into the database like crazy, which
results in a lot of head thrashing (write stream one, write to database,
write stream two, write to database)  Throughput on the drives can be
fine, but as soon as you're causing constant seeking, the system starts to
suffer.

Greg