[mythtv-users] It's over, the RIAA is toast

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Wed Mar 5 19:14:32 UTC 2008

On Mar 5, 2008, at 9:50 AM, Greg Woods wrote:
> Experiments such as the Grateful Dead and Nine Inch Nails show us that
> it is possible to make money from making music other than in the
> traditional, album-royalty way.

If you're as famous as those guys just about anything you do will make
money.  It doesn't mean that model will work for everyone.

I hear Radiohead is doing a more conventional release for their next
album, after flirting with the "pay whatever you want" model for their
last one.  I suspect they're finding out what many observers predicted
-- that people will pay once on the honor system for something like
that, but after that they feel entitled and will just take the next
one for free.