[mythtv-users] It's over, the RIAA is toast

Matt Emmott memmott at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 16:17:15 UTC 2008

On Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 9:04 AM, jedi <jedi at mishnet.org> wrote:

>     The counter-counter argument is that important and influential
> new bands are often discovered by older well established bands. NiN
> could promote a new band just as easily as their forebears discovered
> new ones.
>
>    One extra layer of indirection can be removed.
>
> [deletia]
> _______________________________________________<http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users>

Trent  did just that with Saul Williams' latest album and it went nowhere.

For every band with the savvy of Linkin Park (who got to dictate their
recording contract due to their Internet popularity) there are thousands of
bands that do need somebody to hold their hand and lead the way. I think
we'll always need some form of governing body to mold and incubate up and
coming artists. It's a shame that the RIAA took the road they did,
protecting their old-world business model and creating an air of hatred
among their paying customers, but they are far from dead.

Good thing I bought my $300 copy of Ghosts when I did, btw :-)