[mythtv-users] new video2ipod script released!

Jeff volckaert jvolckaert at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 19:22:23 UTC 2008

On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 11:14 AM, Jeff Simpson <jeffsimpson at alum.wpi.edu>
wrote:

> I'm pleased to announce the release of my video2ipod script!

> format ffmpeg can read for input, output is mpeg4 or h264 videos in
> iPod format.
>
> Motivation: A lot of scripts of this type exist, but none of them do
> everything I wanted. I figured if I was going to go through all the
> hassle of writing up a script, I may as well share it with the
> community
>
> Features: (Here's what sets it apart):
> * full resolution videos for iPod. Perfect for plugging your iPod into
> a TV. I've tested up to 720x480 in both h264 and mpeg4 on my 5.5G
> video iPod, and they look stunning. It can do lower resolutions as
> well, of course.
> * MythTV export. set up video2ipod as a user job and give it CHANID
> and STARTTIME, and it will pull the rest of the information from the
> database.
> * tv.com lookup of tv shows. It will look up the episode to get
> episode number, season number, summary, and other information. Slight
> misspellings are handled by finding "best fit" for an episode name,
> and keeping the Myth episode name if the match isn't close enough.
> * Translation table included for TV show names that don't match up with
> tv.com
> * mp4 tagging in iTunes format. AtomicParsley is used to tag the
> title, episode, episode number, season number, summary, and other tags
> for the iPod. Using iTunes, these should properly show up in the right
> sections on the iPod. There is not currently an app for linux that can
> read those tags when loading the ipod, unfortunately.
> * Black-bar detection and cropping. Not recommended for TV where the
> bars change often, but great for DVDs or videos that have bars in them
> already.
>
> This is the first public release of the script. I've been the only one
> using it so far, but it's worked great.
>
> http://wiki.jeffornot.com/index.php/Video2ipod
>
> Very open to comments, suggestions, bug reports, etc. Be sure to meet
> all the requirements for installation. There are some weird perl
> modules you'll need, and you'll need AtomicParsley, ffmpeg, and
> mencoder/midentify.

Good job.  I may take a look at this for replacing the PDA Transcode scripts
I use.  I created the scripts found here:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Transcoding_for_the_PDA

For the ipod touch I use mencoder like so:

# Transcode using Mencoder for Ipod Touch
 nice -+19 mencoder -ofps 25 -of lavf -lavfopts format=mp4 -af
lavcresample=44100 -vf-add harddup -vf-add scale=320:240 -oac lavc
-ovc lavc -lavcopts
aglobal=1:vglobal=1:acodec=libfaac:abitrate=128:vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=384:keyint=25
-o $VIDEODIR/pda/$TITLE-$STARTTIME-$SUBTITLE.mp4 $VIDEODIR/$FILENAME
-quiet

You use FFMPEG?  I did some testing and prefer the quality of Mencoder
better.  I know they use alot of the same libraries, but for some
reason mencoder seems to produce a better output.

What bitrate do you use?

Jeff