[mythtv-users] Things I've learned from mythtv-users

jedi at mishnet.org jedi at mishnet.org
Mon Mar 3 16:09:55 UTC 2008

> On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 12:56 AM, Yeechang Lee <ylee at pobox.com> wrote:
>> I've been reading mythtv-users for more than two years now. In those
>>  two years I've learned tons about how to improve my MythTV
>>  setup. However, along the way I've also received an education in so,
>>  so much more. Highlights include:
>>
>>  * Those who are unaware of the Mac mini are condemned to reinvent
>>   it. (In an uglier and larger form that does less and costs twice as
>>   much.)

The mini is nice but still far from idea.

Some potentially superior variations would be...

    A mini concept that uses standard drives.
    A mini concept that matches the width of a standard stereo
component and thus would have room for things like internal tuners.
They could even be via cardbus slots. Infact that would be a rather
cool extension of the whole "laptop without the monitor idea".

    I could probably take a dual core el-cheapo compaq and buy an
Antec fusion case, drop the compaq into the fusion case and still
manage to come out on par with the mini.

    The Aopen machines besides being a little more ugly primarily
have the problem of not being price competitive against an Apple
product (as all PCs should be).

> But what if I *want* something larger, uglier, louder, and more expensive?

     Or just larger? Or you just don't need something so shallow. Most
HTPC cases will do just swell for most people. Not everyone has the same
peculiar constraints as people such as myself. My own journey to the mini
wouldn't have happened if I had just used a decent Antec case in my first
frontend to begin with.

[deletia]