[mythtv-users] which harddisk for storing media ?

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 14:54:31 UTC 2008

>  I will soon buy a 500GB harddisk for my mythtv system, but would appreciate
>  any advice or recommendation on which brand and/or model I should take or leave.

I really like segates mainly for their 5 year warrantee. I would get
the new 7200.11 drive for $119 over the 7200.10 drive because of its
increased speed of over 100MB/s hdparm compared to the 7200.10 which
nets 75MB/s. Also at $99 the WD drive looks attractive but has a 3
year warrantee. All prices are from newegg.

>  The drive will sit in a server in the basement, so noise is not really an issue.

I do not know of any current 7200 RPM hard drives that make any where
near the noise of drives 5 years ago. To me they are all inaudible
(well if you have a descent case).

John