[mythtv-users] New Frontend, Any gotchas with Compact Flash storage

Steve Peters - Priority Electronics steve at priorityelectronics.com
Mon Mar 3 00:36:44 UTC 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
[mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of David Whyte
Sent: Sunday, March 02, 2008 4:29 PM
To: Discussion about mythtv
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] New Frontend,Any gotchas with Compact Flash
storage

On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 10:21 AM, Ray Lischner <linux at tempest-sw.com> wrote:

>  I decided to use a conventional SATA disk drive for my FE. It's
> cheap,  easy, and completely silent because the system doesn't touch
> the disk  once it's up and running. I don't see the disk LED light
> during normal  playback activities.

Yeah, I am leaning towards this now.  I completely forgot about the write
limitation and I am sceptical of everything going smooth with the IDE
adaptor and the like.  I can get a cheap 80GB IDE Western Digital HDD for
~$80AUD, which is fine with me.  I doubt myth will touch the disk after boot
up anyways if I put 1GB (or more) of RAM in it seeing how this is a FE only
(at this stage).

Thanks for all the pointers though guys, I am glad I asked here first.

Cheers,
Whytey