[mythtv-users] New Frontend, Any gotchas with Compact Flash storage

Tom Flair tom at graniteskies.net
Sun Mar 2 14:22:24 UTC 2008

On 3/2/08, Sam Logen <starz909 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Martin Turner <xmode at westnet.com.au> wrote:
>
> > David Whyte wrote:
> > > Hey All,
> > >
> > > Just won a new Aopen mini PC on eBay but will need
> > to add a harddrive
> > > and RAM.  The box supports IDE HDDs, but I was
> > thinking of going the
> > > silent solution and getting a IDE - CF adaptor and
> > a CF card since
> > > this will be a FE only machine (or if I do add as
> > a BE it will record
> > > to the master BE over an NFS mount).
> > >
> > > Is there anything I should know about CF cards?
> > Are there any type
> > > that I should get which is quicker than the other.
> >  Will a CF card be
> > > much quicker or the same as an IDE HDD for boot
> > up?
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Whytey
> > >
> > Get a card that supports DMA. My first experience
> > with trying this was
> > with a very basic IDE to CF adapter that didn't
> > support this, and the
> > drive swapped to PIO mode and caused so may IO
> > errors I couldn't get a
> > base system to boot cleanly.
> >
> > After looking around it seems most CF cards are
> > slower than HDDs,
> > although they take up next to no space, produce
> > almost no heat and use
> > very little power..
> >

> And if you are not already aware, flash media can only
> accept a limited amount of writes (about 100,000 or
> so), but they can accept an infinite amount of reads.
> So I'd still recommend a small hard disk to run a swap
> partition and any folders that may be written to
> frequently.
>
> Oh, and another thing, unless you have another plan
> for the formatting of the flash, don't use a journaled
> filesystem, since that also accumulates writes, so
> I've been told.
>
> Good luck,
> Sam

Wouldn't this all be negated if this is to be used as a frontend only?  At
that point, what needs to be written after the base OS is installed?  Logs
could easily be forwarded and written to a remote server.  Aside from that,
I can't think of anything off the top of my head that should need write
access.

Of course, he hasn't told us what the ultimate use of this pc will be
either.  :)