[mythtv-users] New Frontend, Any gotchas with Compact Flash storage

Sam Logen starz909 at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 2 13:15:47 UTC 2008

--- Martin Turner <xmode at westnet.com.au> wrote:

> David Whyte wrote:
> > Hey All,
> >
> > Just won a new Aopen mini PC on eBay but will need
> to add a harddrive
> > and RAM.  The box supports IDE HDDs, but I was
> thinking of going the
> > silent solution and getting a IDE - CF adaptor and
> a CF card since
> > this will be a FE only machine (or if I do add as
> a BE it will record
> > to the master BE over an NFS mount).
> >
> > Is there anything I should know about CF cards?
> Are there any type
> > that I should get which is quicker than the other.
>  Will a CF card be
> > much quicker or the same as an IDE HDD for boot
> up?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Whytey
> >
> Get a card that supports DMA. My first experience
> with trying this was
> with a very basic IDE to CF adapter that didn't
> support this, and the
> drive swapped to PIO mode and caused so may IO
> errors I couldn't get a
> base system to boot cleanly.
>
> After looking around it seems most CF cards are
> slower than HDDs,
> although they take up next to no space, produce
> almost no heat and use
> very little power..

And if you are not already aware, flash media can only
accept a limited amount of writes (about 100,000 or
so), but they can accept an infinite amount of reads.
So I'd still recommend a small hard disk to run a swap
partition and any folders that may be written to
frequently.

Oh, and another thing, unless you have another plan
for the formatting of the flash, don't use a journaled
filesystem, since that also accumulates writes, so
I've been told.

Good luck,
Sam