[mythtv-users] why you use myth...like myth, or hate Microsoft

Chris Johns chris at lessthan3.org.uk
Sun Mar 2 10:30:05 UTC 2008

> I have seen so much hatred among linux users against microsoft (and rarely
> against Apple, who to me seems worse). Some of the complaints I understand
> and sometimes agree with, but sometimes it seems that linux people have real
> hatred towards Microsoft...like really really bad hatred.
>
> So i'm wondering...why did you start to use myth...
>
> 1. was it because you heard about myth, so you learned to use linux so you
> could run myth,
> 2. was it because you like linux so you then went and used myth,
> 3. or was it because you don't like microsoft, so that's why you're in
> linux, and hence, why you chose myth?
>
> I'm a 1-er myself. I like that myth gives me the customization I like and
> that I can add frontends to it which microsoft mce doesn't let you do as far
> as i know. So i've learned quite a bit about linux during this myth
> process...still a work in progress.

Mainly 2 for me.

My first encounter with Linux was at uni in the late 90s, and from
around 1998 I have had a PC setup running Linux (started off with a 486
board/CPU that was donated to me).

Had I not already had a half decent understanding of Linux, I might have
gone for something like Windows Media Center, but I figured it was worth
a go with a Linux system.

Another thing that made me decide to take the plunge with MythTV was the
fact that I could try it for the cost of the WinTV card - if it didnt'
work out I could sell the card on eBay and make some of my money back -
there was a larger financial risk in going for a Windows solution (short
of getting a warez copy of MCE).

I don't have the time or energy for the whole anti Microsoft / Apple /
Linux stuff. Partly because I've already been there and done that with
the 8-bit and 16-bit home micros of the 80s and 90s.

Cheers

Chris
--
Chris Johns <chris at lessthan3.org.uk>