[mythtv-users] why you use myth...like myth, or hate Microsoft

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Sat Mar 1 21:04:05 UTC 2008

On Mar 1, 2008, at 12:15 PM, Steve Peters - Priority Electronics wrote:

> This is somewhat of a poll question. I'm just curious to see what
> peoples' answers are.
>
> I have seen so much hatred among linux users against microsoft (and
> rarely against Apple, who to me seems worse). Some of the complaints
> I understand and sometimes agree with, but sometimes it seems that
> linux people have real hatred towards Microsoft...like really really
> bad hatred.
>
> So i'm wondering...why did you start to use myth...
>
> 1. was it because you heard about myth, so you learned to use linux
> so you could run myth,
> 2. was it because you like linux so you then went and used myth,
> 3. or was it because you don't like microsoft, so that's why you're
> in linux, and hence, why you chose myth?
>
> I'm a 1-er myself. I like that myth gives me the customization I
> like and that I can add frontends to it which microsoft mce doesn't
> let you do as far as i know. So i've learned quite a bit about linux
> during this myth process...still a work in progress.

I never even considered a Microsoft-branded solution. I looked at
MythTV, SageTV and a few others I don't remember now. I chose MythTV
because I wanted to have as many tuners as I wanted, as much storage
as I wanted, DVDs conveniently on a hard drive, music and photos
integrated, write customized scripts to create video podcasts of my
recordings, etc. etc. MythTV was the most mature project at the time
in my opinion. Oh, and I saw a video podcast about how easy it was to
set up KnoppMyth and decided it would be easy to try out on a spare
machine I had. It was. 30 minutes after the install, I was watching TV
with it and it sort of grew out of control from there. :)

-Brad