[mythtv-users] QAM Decrypt?

Marc drayson at net1plus.com
Sat Mar 1 18:28:01 UTC 2008

Brian Wood wrote:
> On Mar 1, 2008, at 10:45 AM, Andy Burns wrote:
>
>> On 01/03/2008 16:39, K Goldenberg wrote:
>>
>>> Do I misunderstand, or would this make a killer "tuner" for a
>>> backend?
>>> http://www.maxcomcorp.com/index.php?kat=1&sol=3&m=167
>> It think you misunderstand, it's not for receiving signals, it's for
>> sending them (over cables rather than airwaves).
>
> That's what I thought at first, that it was simply a QAM modulator.
>
> But, this line is interesting:
>
> "Locally inserts decrypted TV program from any encrypted cable channel"
>
> This could be interpreted as meaning the unit will decrypt an
> encrypted channel, but I don't see how it could do that without a
> CableCard.
>
> It probably means that the channel has to be decrypted externally, say
> with a cable STB.
>
> I think it is just a QAM modulator that can accept firewire input, but
> I suspect that F/W signal must be unencrypted.
>
> I think "channel inserter" means "modulator".

Yup. The diagrams on the web page all show a set-top box being used to
decrypt
the cable. It was beginning to look quite desirable till I saw that...

Mike Perkins

Yeah, from the diagram I would guess we would need a STB, this device, plus
a DVB tuner.
Change the channel on the STB which would then change the channel going into
the device and feeding into the tuner, no need to change tuner channels ala
VCR's in between a STB and a TV.
PROs: Tf the device can do what it says it can, ability to decode any
channel.
CONs: You need a STB the device, and a DVB tuner. (3 pieces of hardware)

What they need to do is broadcast QAM in the clear or make a QAM tuner that
can accept the cable card.