[mythtv-users] Hauppauge HD PVR (A bit more info for those starved for it)

George Mari george_mythusers at mari1938.org
Sat Mar 1 15:02:51 UTC 2008

Robert Kulagowski wrote:
> Chris Ribe wrote:
>>
>>      > I look forward to the day when more broadcasters actually use higher
>>      > bitrates...  Here, only CW and NBC use such a high bitrate.
>>      >
>>      > Mike
>>
>>     Doesn't CBS broadcast in 1080i too?  I thought only Fox and ABC used
>>     720p?

[deleted]

> Since you're a TV/IT engineer, and apparently have something to do with
> ABC, can you please look at the "Funky 720p" thread in -dev?
>
> ABC seems to be doing weird things with their ATSC programming, and at
> first all of the responders to the thread were in Chicago, but we just
> got a datapoint for someone who's down in Texas, so it may be more
> prevalent.

I'm not recording HD with MythTv yet, but I am in the Chicago area, and
I remembered about a month or so ago, a post on the AVSForum Chicago OTA
thread about WLS-DT switching to a new encoder for their broadcasts, and
this apparently caused problems for people with older ATSC receivers.

There was a post for the phone number at WLS-DT as well:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=12853150#post12853150

Phone is 312-750-7592, according to that post, in case anyone is
interested in trying to contact their engineers.

I know you mentioned the problem seems to have spread beyond Chicago,
but maybe stations if different markets are doing the same thing to the
broadcast?