[mythtv-users] Display ip of of the frontend?

Robin Gilks g8ecj at gilks.org
Sat Mar 1 05:00:12 UTC 2008

> On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 10:27 PM, Harry Devine <lifter89 at comcast.net>
> wrote:
>>
>> Michael T. Dean wrote:
>>  > On 02/29/2008 12:05 PM, Chad wrote:
>>  >
>>  >> Although I agree that the best way to do this would probably be via
>>  >> the dyndns option, if you aren't up for that you could setup an MTA
>>  >> and email you the IP instead.
>>  >>
>>  >
> I use dyndns. However my ip address never changes with Comcast and so
> every few months I get an email from dyndns that my dynaimc dns will
> expire if I do not logon and renew it. This process is pain less
> though and takes a few seconds.. I have heard of other services that
> are also free but do not expire but I have not looked intro that in
> years.

I've been using dyndns for at least 8 years now and the client (ddclient)
I run with it has the option to force a refresh of IP address every 2
weeks so I don't get the emails! This client can get the IP address from
the modem, from dyndns or from any other source that returns text that can
be parsed out and used.

Never had a problem, even back in the days of dialup, through ISDN, bonded
ISDN and now ADSL in two countries on opposite sides of the world! For a
free service it is excellent.

My domain is parked with a supplier that redirects to the dyndns address
so no hassles with mythweb access either (although I tend to use the
ath.cx or homelinux.org direct urls I have registered these days). Having
a registered domain does make it easier for others to find me though.

--
Robin Gilks