[mythtv-users] OT problem with Xorg

Mark Greenwood fatgerman at ntlworld.com
Mon Jun 30 20:27:22 UTC 2008

On Monday 30 June 2008 20:27:51 Gary Dawes wrote:
> 2008/6/30 Joe Ripley <vitaminjoe at gmail.com>:
>
> > On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 2:48 PM, Gary Dawes <gary.dawes at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > I've popped the use events true in the Xorg,conf, and checked that there
> > is
> > > plenty of disk space, even checked that the network is up - I'm stumped.
> >
> > It sounds like X might be stuck in a loop of some kind.  strace might
> > be able to give you some info on what it's doing...  try something
> > like this:
> >
> > # ps a |grep X
> > (get X's pid)
> >
> > # strace -p 4066
> > (or whatever X's pid is)
> >
> > The output may give you some insight as to what's going on.
> >
> > --
> > Joe Ripley
> >
> > <vitaminjoe at gmail.com>
>
> Thanks for that. I think (everything crossed) thta I have now managed to
> resolve it. "useevents" "true" and a couple of other driver config tricks
> did not fix the problem, but since I started using Myth I have had a custom
> PAL modline, which is now crippling Xorg for some reason. Strange as I have
> not changed anything  for months, software or hardware wise, and have used
> that modeline for years.
>
> Just happy that it's fixed.
>
> On a OT aside, we have just taken delivery at work of 55 Windows servers
> which are to replace 1 small IBM P5 running AIX. Same software from same
> supplier, just the windows version on top of Windows instead of Unix as we
> have very little professional experience of Unix, and the decision has been
> taken to base everything on Windows where possible

Hehe, 55 Windows servers replacing one IBM P5..... ain't Microsoft great? At the other end of the scale, we've just taken delivery of 2 quad-core servers running Linux  which are to replace 10 Windows servers. Well, actually, they're each going to be running 5 Windows servers under VMWare... but, y'know.....

topic? what topic?

Sorry.

Mark