[mythtv-users] MythTV and interlacing

Andy Burns fedora at adslpipe.co.uk
Mon Jun 30 07:01:54 UTC 2008

On 30/06/2008 06:23, Bradley Kite wrote:

> I've just built myself a VGA to Scart converter as per:
> http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Setup_X_for_MythTV - the picture quality
> is a lot better, but I'm trying to figure out some deinterlacing
> stuff.

On my previous myth box I did the same, likewise the quality was much
better than using TVOUT.

> I'm driving X with the following modeline:
>
> ModeLine "720x576 at 25i" 13.5   720 732 795 864  576 581 586 625
> interlace -hsync -vsync
>
> As I am now using a naturally interlaced display mode, and I'm playing
> interlaced content on an interlaced display, I would have thought that
> I could turn off MythTV's de-interlacing?

That was what I expected too, though I always found using de-interlacing
provided a better looking picture, for a while this bothered me, as I
was trying to achive "less processing is best", eventually I decided
that whatever looked best, was best.

I've tried it but I still
> get the tearing etc. which I thought would have disappeared in such a
> scenario.

I didn't get tearing, is your card allowing vertical retrace
synchronisation?