[mythtv-users] Mac Frontend requirements for HD playback

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Jun 29 23:02:22 UTC 2008

On Sunday 29 June 2008 16:21:06 Bill Omer wrote:
> > I presume this means it's an Intel-based Mini. If I could run Ubuntu on
> > my G5 iMac I would.
>
> I guess I dont understand.  Your running OSX?  Why can't you install
> Bootcamp and then put linux on it?   Does the G5 not support it or
> something?  Sorry, I'm not a mac person by any means.

Correct, bootcamp only works with Intel CPUs. It doesn't emulate the i386
instruction set, it depends on having a real i386 present.

There are emulators that will emulate i386 CPUs on PPC hardware, all of them
that I have tried run in what might be best described as a geological
timeframe.

There are Linux distros that run on PPCs, YellowDog comes to mind, I believe
Debian as well.

beww