[mythtv-users] S3 Graphics UniChrome Pro IGP

Josh White jaw1959 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 29 01:01:19 UTC 2008

I just got myself a JetWay VIA C7 mini-ITX board.  (one of these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813153050R)

I have it working, to some degree, but I think I'm having trouble with my
xorg.conf.  I can't seem to make it run the display at a reasonable
resolution.  I'm using the "openchrome" drivers, with an S-video connection
to my NTSC SD CRT TV (how's THAT for acronyms!), running on Mythbuntu 8.04.
When connected only to the TV, it seems to run happily at 640 x 480, but
earlier in the day, I seemed to "trick" it into working at a higher
resolution.  I had the machine configured in BIOS to output only to the CRT
(on the normal D-sub output).  I booted the machine into Mythbuntu, then
restarted X.  Then, for some reason that I cannot explain, both the TV and
the CRT were displaying (both were switched on, but prior to the X restart,
but the TV was blank) at a resolution of 1024 x 768.  This seemed to work
well, until I restarted the machine, set the BIOS to display only to the TV,
and tried to boot.  Now, I'm back to 640 x 480.  I imagine this is due to a
modeline issue in my xorg.conf, but I'm not not very experienced with
setting this up.  I had the same TV working with an nvidia FX5200, but the
motherboard on that machine was flaky, and I decided to give the low-power
end a try.

So that's my story, I tried to keep it succinct.  I'm also trying to get it
to use XVMC.  If anyone has experience with these boards, or TV-out to an
NTSC SDTV via S-video, I'd appreciate any tips you can provide.

Thanks,

Josh

I've posted my xorg.conf below:

Section "Device"
    Identifier    "S3 Graphics UniChrome Pro IGP"
    Boardname    "CN700"
    Busid        "PCI:1:0:0"
    Driver        "openchrome"
    Screen    0
    Option        "Active Device" "CRT TV"
    Option        "TVType"    "NTSC"
    Option        "TVOutput"    "S-Video"
    #Option        "EnableAGPDMA"    "1"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier    "TV on S-Video"
    Vendorname    "Sharp"
    Modelname    "ultrasharp"
  #modeline  "640x480 at 60" 25.2 640 656 752 800 480 490 492 525 -vsync -hsync
    #Gamma    1.0
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier    "Default Screen"
    Device        "Configured Video Device"
    Monitor        "Configured Monitor"
    Defaultdepth    24
    SubSection "Display"
        Depth    24
        #Virtual    1024    768
        #Modes        "1280x1024 at 60" "1024x768 at 60" "800x600 at 60" "640x480 at 60"

        Modes    "720x480Noscale"

    EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"