[mythtv-users] IR keyboards?

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Sat Jun 28 03:48:05 UTC 2008

On Jun 27, 2008, at 8:32 PM, Raphael wrote:

> What issues does it have? I haven't been aware of any... other than
> the
> fact that trying to teach it to my last remote may have nuked the
> remote... just gave me an excuse to get a better one :)
>
> LIRC isn't that hard to set up these days. Nowdays I build it from
> source. It builds pretty quickly. You probably want to install
> setserial
> as well in order to take control of your serial port if you're hooking
> up a receiver to it. There are a ton of different ways to get IR to
> your
> computer and LIRC has drivers for tons of them. They have a list of
> supported things on their website. The Howto on the LIRC site
> essentially covered all the bases; I got it set up using just that.

People get confused because setting up lirc is 3 steps.

1. Installing (download, build, install)
2. Configuring for your remote (use irrecord to set up the /etc/
lircd.conf file)
3. Configuring for your application (~/.lircrc and/or ~/.mythtv/lircrc
file)

Everyone I've seen with problems seems to want to put the Step 2
config stuff in Step 3 or vice versa.

> Apparently in Ubuntu 8.04 it also comes as a package. I looked and it
> seemed to install everything fine and the LIRC service is running. I
> haven't bothered trying to use it yet though as I don't need it
> anymore.

Or you can run MythBuntu, pick your input device and let it do all the
setup for you. :)

-Brad