[mythtv-users] MythTV, phpMyAdmin and German umlauts

Torsten Crass torsten.crass at eBiology.de
Thu Jun 26 22:24:42 UTC 2008

Hi Brad,

> Secondly, don't edit those fields with phpMyAdmin. :)

normally, I'm using mythfrontend or the mysql shell wherever possible to
edit recordings data. Since German TV stations, however, seem to be
incapable of consistently delivering data such as title, subtitle and
description for their programmes, I frequently need to exchange large
blocks of text between those fields (or even write up something), which
is definitely more conveniently achieved using a GUI like phpMyAdmin.

> Make sure phpMyAdmin is using the same character set as your database.
> There is a global setting for this.

I've been looking for something like this before, but the only thing I
found was an option to set the "MySQL connection collation" right on the
phpMyAdmin entry page -- but changing that to, say: utf8, didn't make
any difference. So have I been blind, not finding the global setting
you're talking about?

Regards --

	tcrass