[mythtv-users] Using spindown with SCSI RAID5?

George Mari george_mythusers at mari1938.org
Thu Jun 26 12:44:56 UTC 2008

Silvestro Roberto wrote:
 > I think you can spin down only spare disks in the array!

Well, I have read that the spare disks for a RAID5 or RAID6 can be spun
down.

But I have a small RAID0 array on my desktop made from 3 SATA laptop
drives that I use for editing and transcoding home movies.  Through no
intervention on my part, the drives spin down after not being used for a
while, and whenever I access the filesystem on that array, there is a
pause of maybe 2 seconds while the drives spin up, and then the array is
just fine.

So it seems like it could be done, but I'm just trying to figure out if
only certain hardware supports the "spindown-without-breaking-the-array"
feature, or if there is some way to do it I am not aware of.