[mythtv-users] PVR Hardware Build

Alen Edwards allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com
Wed Jun 25 14:31:19 UTC 2008

moodyjunk at frontiernet.net wrote:
> After scouring the forums, here is what I've settled on for my PVR
> build using MythDora and the key reasons I chose it.
>
> * case - Silverstone LC17 (good cooling reputation, style, extremely quiet)
> * motherboard - Intel DP35DPM (ATX, Northbridge Intel P35, Southbridge
> Intel ICH9R, Auido chipset SigmaTel STAC9271D, LAN Chipset Intel
> 82566DC; Supports Core 2 Duo (et al), 8G max DDR2 800, 6 SATA 3Gb/s, 1
> IDE ATA100, Gigabit LAN, S/PDIF TOSLINK (optical) 5.1 audio, 1 PCIe
> x16, 3 PCIe x1 (all unused), 3 PCI
> processor - Intel E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz Core 2 Duo)
> * memory - Kingston KVR800D2K2/2GR (2x1G DDR2 800 - PC2 6400)
> * graphics card - Zotac ZT-76SEH2P-HSL (PCIe x16, nVidia GeForce
> 7600GS, fanless)
> * PSU - Corsair HX620W (modular cabling, extremely quiet)
> * tuner - pcHDTV HD-5500 (2xPCI, digital)
> * tuner - PVR-500 (1xPCI, analog)
> * hard drive - Samsung HD103UJ 1TB (7200 RPM SATA 3.0G/s, extremely quiet)
> * DVD burner - Lite-On DH-20A4H-08 (IDE)
> * Streamzap TV remote
>
> Comments welcome before I start collecting parts. Did I miss
> something? Anything incompatable or known not to work with MythTV?
> Thanks.

Looks very high end.  Probably more processor than you need but more is
better than not enough.
I decided on an IR keyboard programmed into an MX-500.  I have no need
for another remote that doesn't control everything and the keyboard
sounded like a good idea so I can web surf and such.  Have not gotten it
yet though so I really don't know how it will work.  I have heard that
Myth responds more quickly to keyboard than to a remote.

The 7600 is listed as having Pure Audio so if for some reason you wanted
to do XvMC you could, but don't.

You might want to get some extra fans for the case.  Not sure what they
take although I see there is a space for a side fan.

Enjoy

Allen