[mythtv-users] Two frontends on one machiene

Marc Randolph mrand at pobox.com
Wed Jun 25 13:41:43 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 12:19 AM, Kevin Kuphal <kkuphal at gmail.com> wrote:

>> >Would it work for you to just have an xscreensaver that showed pictures
>> > when
>> >the frontend was idle?  Then when you went to watch TV it would just turn
>> >off?  I think GLSlideShow is one that does this.
>>
>> I thought so, but the configuration that I want I don't want the TV on all
>> the time but to get a few monitors and somehow wireless (if not just with
>> wires) hook them to all have the second x session on them so that they are
>> independent of the TV
>

> Seems like it would be easier just to buy a digital photo frame rather than
> whatever investment in time/money to rig that together...

Depending on the desired size of the digital photo frame, a used
laptop may not cost much more, and is a lot more versatile. Over
simplified: just launch vncserver -geometry <screen resolution> on the
linux side and connect to it with one of the myrid of vnc clients.  Or
use a mythbuntu live-cd on the laptop to connect directly as a
front-end.

   Marc