[mythtv-users] Jetway JNC62K

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Tue Jun 24 20:56:58 UTC 2008

Calvin Dodge wrote:

>> I've had mixed luck with VIA: their motherboards are problematic, but the CPUs
>> are OK if you want a low-power chip and understand the limitations (small
>> cache, limited multimedia capability). They seem more popular in the
>> teeny-tiny box category.
>
> Yes, they're fine as diskless clients (I have a couple of SolarPCs).
> But I wouldn't want other systems depending on them (i.e., as a
> server).

Exception that proves the rule: I have two original VIA 8000 boards living in
hand-made boxes. One of these is my firewall and the other provides all the
network services - DHCP, Network boot, LDAP, etc. Both have been running without
any problems for at least four years, the firewall for six.

I have started checking them every so often for bad caps, however, since reading
about the potential problem on this list.

--

Mike Perkins